The Twin City
.
As the plane flew over the outskirts of Hyderabad, my eyes defocused over the airline-provided literature. Oh, sure, there were some interesting articles in it: especially the one which explained how Air Deccan managed to actually be low-cost. How they kept smaller aircrafts for shorter flights and increased frequency instead, how they downsized on the cabin-crew and encouraged internet booking. But my losing interest in them wasn’t due to the article-content; it was because of the changes occurring in my life.
I was finally stepping out of the protection of academics, and into the working world… although there’d probably be a temporary shuffle out of it later. D.E Shaw… the presentation given at the hotel was still vivid in my mind. Their mindset, their policies, seemed so… in tune with what I’d call ideal… it seemed so Utopian to me. Excite.com’s review seemed particularly interesting.
Like Bombay, I finally felt the city’s vibe when I understood the common man’s language. It’s not like the people in Chennai can’t communicate in English, I would never have gotten around if they couldn't. It’s just that feeling is the most difficult thing to incorporate into your language fluency… although it can be made up adequately with tone and body language. However, with the amount of concentration that had to be put into framing sentences that a linguistically-retarded person like me could understand, there was little room left for that. Besides, a common man with charisma and good communication skills would only fail to remain common.
And… hmm… lost track of what I was saying.
.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home